Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Circle of Flowers - Another BDE flower completed




I completed my second flower on my "Circle of Flowers" project. Switching the thread colors between the two didn't seem to hinder the design, since they would have been across from each other either way and are both form of daisies. I think one of the hardest things to remember when doing Brazilian Dimensional Embroidery is that it has a Z twist and stitches need to be wrapped around the needles in the opposite direction than when using regular flosses or other S twist threads. That and the fact that the Lola thread has a definate end to have at the knotted end and at the needle end. Stitching with them at opposite ends causes the thread to twist terribly. But, all in all, these threads are wonderful to work with once you get used to them.....really! I know some people don't like them and think they're difficult, but they really aren't like other rayon threads. These are very soft and pliable....not springy like so many other rayon or "art silk" threads. If you haven't used them before, you really should try them. They have a luxurious sheen that I have only seen in one other thread that I've used before.....Chinese silk floss, which I really enjoy using, too. The difference is that I'd have had to use several plys of the silk floss to equal one of the Lola. I may have to try making the same flowers doing just that as an experiment! Good project for this evening.

1 comment:

Deepa said...

Lovely!! BE is always beautiful!! I love the colors.