Sunday, February 15, 2009

Current Projects . . .so many and so little time!


I'm currently working on about 6 projects. I'll tell you about each of them in the next few days. The first one is a new bed cover for our upstairs guest room that our visiting friends and relatives call the "Pink Room". I had decorated this room for my mother-in-law to use when she stayed with us while battling breast cancer. I wanted a bright, feminine room that would be cheery for her when she didn't feel well enough to get out of bed. We carpeted it with dusty rose pink plush carpeting, I wallpapered it with a tiny pink and blue floral wallpaper, and added an accent wall with a framed dusty rose wall with pictures of victorian ladies in it. I haven't wanted to change the room too much, because it brings back some of the good feelings and memories of the bond that she and I developed during that difficult time together before she lost her life. We've replaced the twin bed with a double one, but have changed very little otherwise. Since the old coverlet barely fits the newer bed and and I don't want to replace the curtains, I've decided to use some of the old coverlet's fabric and the matching cotton sheets as a focal fabric, I'm adding an assortment of other fabrics to make a crazy quilted coverlet to replace the old one. Thinking of the pictures in the room, I decided to make the theme of the coverlet be Crinoline ladies and flowers or other items that might have been used by crinoline ladies......high button shoes, fans, etc. I love embellishing my crazy quilting with beads, buttons, silk ribbon, and other baubles, but since this will be actually used on a bed; I'm going to only use embroidery, applique, and painting techniques for embellishing. I will use fancy fabrics; though; like silks, satins, velvets,etc., as well, as a few cottons. I'm going to make larger blocks....16". I've finished the first section in the first block. It's a crinoline lady. This tiny lady is only 3 inches tall, but I sure enjoyed using Brazillian Dimensional Embroidery and painting techniques to make this section. I painted the background of the sky, grass, and dress using acrylic paint that I'd added textile medium to. I'll post other sections as I add them and embellish the seams. I'll also share a picture of the room once I take a picture of it.

1 comment:

Rengin Yazitas said...

I loved your Crinoline lady, looking forward to see its final after all those embellishments.
I have UFP for a long time, I must start to work on my Crinoline Lady, too.
Best wishes,
Rengin, in Istanbul