Monday, March 3, 2008

A little more about the Dresden figurines I have made...


I searched and bought all kinds of reference books that documented victorian fashions, like "Godey's Ladies Book", so that I could design my figurines with as much detail and authenticity as I could. I scoured antique shops and thrift stores for items of vintage fabric that I could use in my art. I began specializing in making cake tops and figurines reproducing current brides in their wedding dresses, which was very special, because I figured that they might someday become family heirlooms for my customers. At the request of several of my collectors, I developed a series of miniature figurines representing each month of the year. The small figurine in the picture was the one for May - Mother's Day. But, after all those years of doing this artform, my wrists started bothering me and I was actually getting a little "burned out". My "creative love" had become a business and was no longer the relaxing outlet for me that it had been. I decided to pack up my molds, clay, fabrics, etc. and take a "breather". That "breather" has extended into a little over 10 years now, with me making only a few pieces in that period. I'm not sure how heavily I will ever get back into it, but I'm not at the point of clearing out my supplies, and I do want to make sure that each of my grandchildren have one as they get older. I hope you will enjoy seeing some of my figurines, remembering that these are 100% porcelain.....there is no fabric remaining on any of them.

1 comment:

Rengin Yazitas said...

I love this special art but I don't have any idea how to make them by myself.
If you think to have an on-line course please register my name in advance!!!:)
Best wishes,
Rengin, in Istanbul