Monday, September 28, 2009

Hand Embroidered Baby Blanket Progress........

I finally have gotten back to working on the embroidered baby blanket.  As you can see, I get easily side-tracked.  In fairness to me, my family helps me along a lot with that, though!  Since I posted last, we've spent a lot of time with extended family....even attending a wedding that we took the chair lift to the top of a ski hill for the ceremony.....how fun! The view looking out behind the wedding couple was just outstanding - you could see for miles and miles.

Anyway, I have done quite a bit on the left side of the teddy bear's garden that I wanted to share with any of you that might be following along.  The first thing that I added were daffodils.




Here is a closeup of them:




These are very easy to make.  The stems and leaves are done in stem stitch.  The outer petals of the flowers are lazy daisy stitches with the trumpets done in buttonhole stitches.  I've decided to add a row of detached buttonhole stitches to the trumpets to give them a little ruffled affect, but they would be fine left this way, too.

Next, the magazine gave instructions for adding Cow Parsley.  It looked a lot like Queen Anne's Lace to me.  I had to think a minute and remember that the magazine is from Australia.  I did a quick Google and found it IS Queen Anne's Lace.  These flowers were added with back stitched stems and leaves of feather stitches.  The flowers were made with one, two, and three wrapped French knots radiating from straight stitches.  I was worried the white flowers wouldn't show on the ivory fleece, but they did.

The next flower to be added was Agapanthus.  To me, the finished flowers on the original picture in the magazine looked to me like Globe Allium, but in reality; when I googled it.....it is actually Lily of the Nile.  I really think it looks like both of them.  So, take your choice in what you call it.  I have Globe Allium in my perennial garden and I don't know if  Agapanthus will grow here in MN, so I'm going to consider the flowers on my blanket to be Globe Allium......stitcher's liscense, lets say. The stems of these flowers were made with whipped chain stitches taking them all the way to the center of the flowers, which were made of blue fly stitches of made in a circle.  A second row or  darker blue  fly stitches was then added on top of the last row....going from the center of one fly stitch to the center of the next.  Then straight stitches were added to fill in any gaps.




Daphne was the next flower to be added.  Starting at the top of each stalk, start with a one wrap French knot with maybe another spaced under it, the add one or two double wrapped ones  spaced below them .  Groups of two together and then groups of three are added along the stem.  Start with a pale shade of pink for a time, then a medium, and then a dark.  Some stalks start out a medium color and then go to the dark..  Once you have all of the buds added, work a fly stitch around each bud or group of buds working down the stalk.  The leaves are long lazy daisy stitches arranged at the base of the stalks.

                        
             

So, here is a picture of the garden, so far:




Tomorrow, I'll try to fill in the violets and other filler flowers along with the rainbow and post the finished garden for you to see.  I'm then adding the baby's name under the garden.  I'll be designing some flower groupings for the corners of the blanket, next.  So, hopefully, you will continue to follow along.

I still haven't decided whether to back the blanket with a cute little floral gingham that I bought or to back it with more of the same ivory fleece.  The fleece might be more cuddly for a Minnesota winter.  I could use the gingham for binding to give more color then.  I bought an  ivory satin blanket binding to use if I do the gingham backing.  I, also, have to decide if it's necessary to "tie" the backing and the blanket top together some way.  I was thinking I could do this with tiny embroidered flowers scattered around the blanket top background with the flower center going through to the back.  If any of you have any thoughts or suggestions......I'd love to hear them in the comments. 


10 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Hi Sherry thru ur comment in my blog came to see urs..otherwise i wud have missed ur wonderful blog..nice sttichings with pleasant colours....
I didn't yet dared to touch the BDE as the rayon threads costed me more a sthey are not available here in india..
Marigold..sure will give the tutorial within 15 days..

Deepa said...

Lovely work,sherry.Beautifully executed.

EJ180 said...

Oh my goodness, Sherry, this is soooo adorable! Wished I could see it in person, I'm sure it's even prettier.

Mandy

Ninu said...

Very beautiful work,i must say..waiting to see the finish garden.. came to your blog while browsing..

Maureen said...

Sherry, How pretty!!! What a lucky baby to have such a keepsake. I'm glad I stumbled onto your blog address in "Stitchin Fingers." Maureen

Hopscotch said...

Beautiful, delicate work - a lovely keepsake!

Heather said...

Hello Sherry... stumbled on your site through Quayceetatter's blog and thought I'd drop in.... lovely work I must say.

blanket said...

The detailing is beautiful...love the french knots and the bears sitting by the garden.As I child I always took fancy to the french knots of my dresses and loved to wear them.

janjan said...

Hello from Australia, beautiful embroidery. I was looking for a daffodil design for a challenge. I presume the mag you mention is either Inspirations or Embroidery and Cross Stitch.

javieth said...

Very good blog!! very interesting.I prefer to read this kind of blogs because is useful because i am very curious for everything, usually i want to know new things. this is the reason why i like to know. Actually i told my boyfriend that buy viagra and the result was really great.